Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Dinner Drama

So around 6pm in our house you would think that we were performing some type of torture ritual on our child....but no, it is just dinner time. If it was summer and the windows were open our neighbors might call child services because they would hear crying, screaming and excessive whining from Grant.

Let me start at the beginning...it isn't really Grant's fault. As parents Josh and I failed him by catering to his every desire for dinner. I would make Josh and I one meal and G would have his standard of pasta, carrots, cheese, olives, sandwich, etc... You would even find us packing Grant's dinner when we went out to dinner as well! What were we thinking? Anyway, we decided that at age 3 he needs to start eating what the family eats. My first goals are to have dinner ready for all of us at 6pm (when Grant gets hungry) and to make dinners that you would reasonably think a 3 year old should eat. Both things have taken planning and some dedication on my part because I love to try new, fun recipes and don't always have the meal prepared by 6.

This week we have had spaghetti, chicken rolls, and breakfast for dinner. All three have resulted in utter meltdowns. We have to basically put the food on the fork to get Grant to eat and he complains the entire time. It is exhausting, but we are committed to repairing the damage we have done by not starting this earlier. The next baby is never going to know that there is another option. By the time it can eat solids, it will eat what we eat!

I look forward to the night when we can make it through dinner without crying or whining!

3 comments:

  1. I just stumbled upon 'Kickin' it with the Kolberg's" I love it. I have heard too many time about the dinner drama. I am sooo lucky Maeve eats whatever we eat. Sounds like you are feel great. So excited for you guys. Maeve and I will be in Portland in Sept. I will try and plan an afternoon to meet the new one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christen--I am cracking up at your blog post because it sounds EXACTLY like dinner at our house every night! Reding dinner time is NOT fun and results in crying, tantrums and lots of whining. It is not fun, but know that we are going through the same thing with Jack. Oh and by the way, Lauren is a much better eater, because she has eaten what we have since she was a year old. I guess we live and learn with our first kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the SAME issue. Keaton refuses to eat every single night. It's a screaming match and we often lose. Channel more of your successes/failures out here so we can all learn. I need to find the strength to lay down the law. After much whining, we often give in and open a granola bar just before bed because we couldn't get him to eat at dinner. Ugh... SUCH bad parenting.

    ReplyDelete