Thursday, April 2, 2009

It's a BOY!

On March 31st, we had our ultrasound to determine the anatomy of Baby K. Instincts had told me that we would be having a girl, but odds told me boy! With almost everyone around me having girls lately and about 75% of pregnant people I know expecting girls, I should have set my sights on the odds this time.

Both Josh and I came from family units where there was a girl and a boy so I think in our mind we had thought that is how it would be. After really thinking about it we are so happy that Grant will have a brother to play and develop a strong bond with.

In the days leading up to the ultrasound I had told Grant that his job would be to teach his brother/sister the ABC's when they were born. I have a friend who had her daughter teach her son the ABC's and I thought that was a very cool idea (Thanks Diana). Grant came to the ultrasound with us and as always was concerned while I lay on the table and made comments about me being brave. At one point he stood by my side and put his hand on my arm, to seemingly comfort me, and then sang the entire ABC song. It was one of those precious moments that I will always want to remember. That little guy melts my heart continually.

The ultrasound tech said that the baby looked healthy and gave us some great shots of him proudly displaying his gender.

Another shot of him waving hello!


And a full body shot!
I was a little concerned when I got a call two days later from my doctors nurse asking me to come in again in 3-4 weeks for another ultrasound because they weren't able to see everything they needed to in the heart. After I had time to process the initial call, I called the nurse back because I was really worried. She assured me that this happens a lot and that it was most likely (90% of the time) because the baby was in the wrong position and she also said that it may have been due to getting the ultrasound at 18 weeks instead of 20. So please keep us in your prayers as we head into our next ultrasound.
We can't wait to meet our little guy and raise him to be a strong and good man!

1 comment:

  1. Christen - that exact same thing happened with me. We had the initial ultrasound then they called back a few days later saying they wanted me back in since they were unable to get a few shots they needed. The nurse assured me, too, that it was common and often times they missed a certain angle of something. Or, like you, I went in at 18 weeks and they'd get a better shot at 20 weeks. I was worried too, and in the end the nurse was 100% right on...and it ended up being a 30 minute ultrasound where they spent 5 minutes getting the shots they needed (and saying "Looks great!") and the remaining 25 minutes taking pictures and having fun :-).

    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete